Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Patio Trellis

Leslie has been talking about upgrading the side patio
into a true outdoor sanctuary.    The first thing she wants
is more privacy from the neighbors, and we both agree a
wall of climbing roses would be a fantastic solution.

Leslie jumped out of the gate and bought three large
climbing rose bushes at a local nursery.  These things
are already six feet tall.

Now the eternal dynamic in our relationship is swinging
into play:  she wants them up on something today.
She will always go for the quick and cheap route, with
the emphasis on quick.   I'd rather spent more time and
find the right design, but I'm not in control.

That means for me to be invested and happy, I have to
find a way to provide quick and quality.

This has lead to some furious research on trellises.


After a lot of this thinking about our needs (in the middle of
the night), I sat down with Maya, the 3D animation software we use
at Bluesky, and came up with this:




The legs will be sunk three feet into the ground and
cemented in.  The trellis will stand eight feet tall.

From this 3D blueprint, I derived a board and cut list which
gave me the confidence to walk into our local lumber yard
and order some #3 cedar as if I actually knew something
about what I was doing.

I'm doing the best I can to move this project along before
too much more spring goes by, which means stealing an
hour here and there before and after work, or during lunch.

The first batch of cedar for the first (prototype) of three
trellises will be delivered tomorrow, and I'll try to have the
boards stained and sealed this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment